La Cayetana Criolla Blanca 2021

La Cayetana Criolla Blanca 2021

Regular price£20.85
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

  • Low stock - 3 items left
  • Backordered, shipping soon

DELIVERY TERMS (In all instances, cases may be mixed)

Order Types Cost
1 to 12 bottles or less £11.75
13 to 24 Bottles £17.00
25 to 36 Bottles £21.50
Orders over £145 Free Delivery
Free Local Delivery Available to customers within 10 mile radius of our shop, £35 minimum order

Delivery charges are for Mainland Great Britain only. Charges to the Isle of Wight and other islands will incur additional charges. We do not deliver to Northern Ireland.

Scotland: Deliveries to the following postcodes may incur added costs. AB,FK, HS, IV, KW, PA, PH and ZE. Please check with us directly for delivery quotes:. We would like all our customers to note the following so that they may fully benefit from our delivery service:

Read full delivery terms & conditions


This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


Winery – Perdriel, Lujan, Mendoza
Vineyards – Lunlunta, Lujan & Los chacayes, Uco Valley, Mendoza

Criolla Blanca is part of the ancient Criolla family, an unruly ‘bunch’ of varietals that came to be as a result of the wild frolickings of Criolla Chica and Muscat d’Alexandria in centuries past. It makes up 90% of this wine and comes from 20 year old vines grown in the traditional Parral style in Lavalle, East Mendoza, fermented and aged in unlined concrete eggs. The remaining 10% is from Los Chacayes and is a mystifying blend of Viognier, Gewürztraminer and Semillon, which blended together is aged biologically under flor for two years (a la Jerez / Sherry). This component is added as a kind of ‘dosage’ when making the final blend and it offers a jaw-dropping level of intrigue and complexity that almost defies description. It is wonderful to see small producers like this exploring the winemaking history of Argentina – and Europe – to create wines that are genuinely unique and give us loads to talk about and enjoy.

French grape varieties didn’t really exist in Argentina prior to the mid-19th Century. Finca La Cayetana, just a short drive from Mendoza City, was the first to be planted with French grapes and was fully planted (70 Hectares) by 1860.
The first building here was constructed in the late 1700s and was later extended in 1865 and 1949, the manor house of the first large winery estate in the area. The house was purchased in 2013 by Eduardo and Emilia Soler (Eduardo of our very own Ver Sacrum wines) and is today home to an experimental vineyard and vine nursery as well as a cornucopia of stunning artworks. The couple lovingly restored the property with the utmost respect for its rich history and tradition, with sustainability at the forefront of their minds.

La Cayetana is fundamentally Emilia’s project, with Eduardo’s assistance in the vineyard and tiny winery (garage!). There are plantings of Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Syrah and Pedro Giménez, sometimes referred to as Pedro Ximénez but not thought to be related and probably better described as Criolla Blanca as it is her

You may also like

Recently viewed